Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Chalkboard Tutorial

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this tutorial on the HGTV website from Miss Mustard Seed herself.  I knew instantly that I NEEDED a large chalkboard for myself!!  I just needed the right supplies.  While I was in my favorite thrift store in Milton, FL, Helping Hand Missions, I saw a gorgeous, excessively large curvy mirror.  The frame was plastic and ugly but it had a wood grain...I had found my supplies.  The mirror was SO heavy.  I had to get two men who worked in the store to carry it to the register for me and then put it in my car.  I didn't let the weight of it scare me though.  Adam got it out of the car when I got home and we proceeded to take the mirror out of the frame.  Talk about relief!! The frame weighed next to nothing, but I think that was the single-most heavy piece of glass/mirror I've ever seen in my life.  I followed Miss Mustard Seed's directions and purchased some hardboard and Rustoleum Chalk-Board paint and got to work.  I painted the frame in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Aubusson Blue and waxed it with Miss Mustard Seed's Antiquing Wax and Furniture Wax.
*note the particular ugliness of the frame

Then my wood working-proficient hubby cut down the hardboard for me and I started painting it.  First, I primed the hardboard with some spray Kilz primer.  Then I started the chalkboard paint coats.
The first coat looked pretty rough.
The second coat looked better.
And the third coat is what sealed the deal.  I put the chalkboard into the frame and proceeded to wait for THREE WHOLE DAYS!!  I know, right, but the chalkboard paint has to cure before you can start writing on it :(  Major bummer. 
Once my three days were up, it was time to season the chalkboard!!
To season a chalkboard you rub a piece of chalk sideways all over the chalkboard, covering it with chalk dust and then erase it.
(*This is a step you need to remember because if you ever wash the chalkboard this has to be done again.)

I mulled over what design I should put on the chalkboard and came up with this:


And here's the final product, hanging in our den over our couch.

Now go find a frame and make one for yourself!!

No comments :

Post a Comment