Friday, September 20, 2013

Mercury Glass DIY

I've seen tutorials for DIY Mercury Glass floating around on Pinterest for quite some time now.  I've thought about it, focused on it, and finally decided that I do have enough skill to try to make some on my own.  I checked out several tutorials for DIY Mercury Glass and ended up with this one.  Cheryl from TidyMom.net seemed to explain all the steps easy enough to follow so I gathered up my supplies and got started.
For this project, you need a clear glass container (like the vase above), a spray bottle with equal parts warm water and vinegar (I used plain white vinegar), and Krylon Looking Glass spray paint.  After you go in search of the spray paint, take a deep breath and get over the panic attack you have for seeing such a small can of paint for almost 10 bucks.


On my way out the door, I also grabbed two cheapo glass candlesticks and decided to give them the treatment too:)  First, spray the inside of your vase with the water/vinegar mixture (for the candlesticks I had to spray the outside of course).  You will see water droplets form.  LEAVE THEM THERE!!  That's what you want.  Then gently start spraying the inside of your vase with the looking glass paint.  This paint is insanely thin.  I was suspicious my can wasn't working at first.  But after each spray, give your vase a turn to evenly disburse the paint.  Let it dry for about a minute and then give it another spray.  I did this about 5 times, let it sit for about 10 minutes and repeat until you get the desired look.  It only took about 4 coats on the candlesticks.  I guess that was because I was spraying it directly.
Anywho...I know you're ready for the finished product.  So without further adieu, and no more guilding the lily...I present to you Sir Ulrich von Lichtenschtein....oh wait...wrong movie....DIY Mercury Glass!!





No comments :

Post a Comment